Google has launched the Google Chrome open source browser, built using technologies Google has long been using in its other applications.
- The Google Blog Chrome will be available for download from September 2, 2008 in more than 100 countries.
- Downloads can be made from Google.com/chrome.
- At first, Google Chrome is only avaliable for Micrsoft Windows users. Mac and Linus versions will follow soon.
- When combined with Google Gears, Google Chrome will reportedly allow offline access and provide seamless offline-online synchronization for Google Mail, Google reader, Google Docs, among other Google applications.
- Tabs in Google Chrome will be at the top of the window, instead of below the controls, as in the other major tabbed browsers such as Firefox.
- Google Chrome will have an Incognito tab mode, where no logs of the user activity are stored, and all cookies from the session are discarded
- Google Chrome will have a phishing blacklist built into Chrome.
- Much faster rendering of web pages, as Google uses the web kit sytem, which is also used by Apple's Safari browser.
Impact of Google Chrome (also known as the long awaited 'G Browser')
May experts believe Google Chrome is the launch of the Google Opertaing system, the Google Cloud, where everything is done online, and documents can also be stored and updated on users' machines, as well as online.
- Microsft's Internet Explorer, which has an inbuilt support for search from Microsoft Live.
- Mozilla Firefox, so far Google has supported the Firefox movement and the Mozilla foundation makes money via Google.