I created this simple guide as a handy reference for all creative people who want to make money online - journalists, bloggers, designers, artists, freelancers, photographers and all other creative types I love to admire. There are many sites that will claim to pay users for writing articles, posting in forums, answering in Q&A sites and so on, but mostly these are short-lived, non-reliable affairs. You will find many sites will actually share ad-revenue, which may be too little, in most cases. In fact many of sites in this guide may have stopped paying or have changed their paying policies. So, I strongly urge you to research beforehand. For example, I always start by searching "...... payment problems" in Google. For all the content-based money-making ideas, there will be the "may be" tag mark.
This guide belongs to 100 Ways To Be Being Remarkable Series, a special project that brings you business and self-development advice from The Success Manual.
Using the sites listed below, and there are more like these out there, you might be able to make some money in your spare time, but nothing beats building a reputation for quality, uniqueness, durability and a habit for persistent promotion. As the cliche says, 'there are no shortcuts to success'. All the same, I wish best of luck to you all.
A tip: If it is possiblefor you can allocate your time to do 4-5 out of 50 ways listed below and make some decent money. I will suggest you make a financial goal, say $100/day and then spread your efforts around. And do not forget to promote your work all the time. Tell me how it works for you.
1. Sell T-shirts: http://www.threadless.com/ Threadless http://www.redbubble.com/ Redbubble http://www.pikistore.com/ Pikistore http://www.spreadshirt.com/ Spreadshirt http://www.pikistore.com/ Pikistore
2. Put your art on stuff (posters, coffee mugs, t-shirts, buttons etc.) and sell http://www.cafepress.com/ Cafepress http://www.zazzle.com/ http://www.deviantart.com/ deviantART Zazzle http://www.imagekind.com/ Imagekind http://www.printfection.com/ Printfection
3. Sell Photography http://istockphoto.com/ iStockphoto http://us.fotolia.com/ Fotolia http://www.shutterstock.com/ Shutterstock http://www.photospin.com/default.asp Photospin http://www.citizenimage.com Citizen Image
4. Sell your Photo/Art on Cards http://www.imagekind.com/ ImageKind http://cruxy.com Cruxy
5. Sell Photoshop vector images, layered Photoshop files, Illustrator files and more http://graphicriver.net/ GraphicRiver http://www.vectorstock.com/ VectorStock http://graphicleftovers.com/ Graphic Leftovers
6. Sell Video [mostly ad revenue share] http://www.videohive.net/ VideoHive http://www.expertvillage.com ExpertVillage http://www.atomfilms.com Atomfilms http://www.blip.tv Blip.tv
7. Sell Audio/Podcasts [mostly ad revenue/donations sharing] http://www.jamendo.com Jamendo http://www.odiogo.com/ Odiogo http://www.grooveshark.com Grooveshark
8. Sell Art http://www.artbreak.com/ Artbreak http://www.boundlessgallery.com/sell-art/ Boundless Gallery http://www.cerizmo.com/ Cerizmo http://www.ivoteforart.com/ I Vote For Art
9. Swap your designs or codes for something else you need, or sell your work outright http://www.coswap.com/ CoSwap
10. Sell Virtual Goods in Online Worlds Virtual goods are big business on sites such as http:secondlife.com or World of Warcraft
11. Sell Fonts http://www.itcfonts.com/ ITCFonts.com http://www.myfonts.com/ MyFonts http://www.linotype.com/ Linotype.com
12. Sell CMS, templates, extensions http://www.cutcaster.com/ cutcaster.com http://www.cmsmarket.com/ CMS Market http://marketplace.sitepoint.com/ Sitepoint Flippa
13. Sell Affiliate Programs: If you are an expert at anything, people will listen to you. If you use a certain service, product, or program, tell your readers about it & insert an affiliate link. http://www.clickbank.com ClickBank http://affiliate-program.amazon.com/ Amazon Associates http://www.cj.com Commission Junction http://www.linkshare.com/ LinkShare http://www.affiliatefuel.com/ Affiliate Fuel https://www.linkconnector.com/ LinkConnector https://www.forex-affiliate.com/ Forex-Affiliate http://www.adplosion.com/ AdPlosion http://www.clixgalore.com/ ClixGalore http://www.rocketprofit.com/ RocketProfit :
14. Sell Premium Wordpress Themes: Wordpress is the most popular CMS (Content Management System). http://www.wordpress-designers.com/ Wordpress Designers http://www.themegalaxy.net/ Theme Galaxy http://wpthememarket.com/ WP Theme Market http://www.themeforest.net/ ThemeForest http://www.templamatic.com/ Templamatic http://wpthememarket.com/ WP Theme Market
15. Resell Web Hosting: A must, especially if you are a web designer, or web person. I use Siteground http://siteground.com so I will suggest them, all right. In fact, most big hosting providers have a reseller program.
16. Buy and sell domain names: If .coms are all sold out try out newer extensions. Check for lucrative keywords using Google Adwords Selector Tool and then book domain name. It might work!
17. Design Web sites and Create Web applications for others: Offer your services on sites such as http://elance.com eLance http://guru.com Guru or http://rentacoder.com Rentacoder
18. Provide Private Tutoring/Coaching Online http://www.a1tutor.com/ A1Tutor.com http://www.tutor.com Tutor.com There are sites like Tutorvista.com (Indian) that connects teacgers with students in America online
19. Write and Sell an E-books, Music DVDs and Sell On-demand http://www.lulu.com/ Lulu http://www.createspace.com/ CreateSpace (owned by Amazon.com) Tip: Try giving away a few free chapters
20. Sell items on http://www.ebay.com/ eBay
21. Sell Photobooks on http://www.blurb.com/ Blurb
22. Sell Cookbooks on http://www.tastebook.com/ TasteBook
23. Sell Music on http://www.cdbaby.com/ CDBaby
24. Sell board games and collectible card games http://www.thegamecrafter.com/ The Game Crafter
25. Sell advertising on your game: http://www.kongregate.com Kongregate
26. Sell Old Gadgets: https://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/ BestBuyTradeIn.com http://www.buymytronics.com/ BuyMyTronics.com http://ez.eztradein.com EZTradein.com http://www.gazelle.com/ Gazelle.com
27. Sell Design Fabrics on Demand http://www.spoonflower.com/ Spoonflower
28. Make money by doing voice overs online http://www.opuzz.com/ OPuzz
29. Create & Sell toys, housewares, furniture, jewelry, and even electronics On Demand (Using 3D Printing technology) http://www.ponoko.com/ Ponoko http://www.shapeways.com/ Shapeways
30. Upgrade Yourself and Your Services: Because, people will pay more for quality and branding. Learn new things from the Internet. Get in touch with the best in your industry - through social networking sites such as Facebook.com or Twitter.com. Start a blog on your industry. Cover all aspects on your industry. Make yourself credible.
31. Sell Ad Spaces on your blog: Not surprisingly, this segment has the most players. Start by knowing that advertising does not pay enough and supply of ad space far outstrips demand. http://adsense.com Google Adsense http://www.textlinkads.org/ Text-Link-Ads http://www.blogads.com BlogAds http://www.linkworth.com/ LinkWorth http://www.crispads.com/ CrispAds http://chitika.com Chitika http://www.azoogleads.com/ AzoogleAds http://www.vibrantmedia.com/ Vibrant Media http://www.mediafed.com/ MediaFed http://www.qumana.com/ Qumana http://www.peakclick.com/ PeakClick http://www.doubleclick.com/ DoubleClick http://www.tribalfusion.com/ Tribal Fusion http://adbrite.com AdBrite http://www.thankyoupages.com/ ThankYouPages http://clicksor.net/ Clicksor http://www.industrybrains.com/ IndustryBrains http://www.bloggingads.com/ BloggingAds http://www.bulletads.com/ BulletAds : Performance based online advertising network http://www.adsmarket.com/ AdsMarket http://www.roirocket.com/ ROIRocket http://www.adknowledge.com/ AdKnowledge http://www.yesadvertising.com/ Yes Advertising http://www.revenuepilot.com/ RevenuePilot
32. Monetize your RSS feeds: http://feedburner.com Feedburner http://www.pheedo.com/ Pheedo http://www.searchfeed.com/ SearchFeed
33. Create Freemium Web Applications: In the freemium pricing model, general access is free, but for enhanced features users must pay a few dollars per month. Basecamp from 37signals.com is a popular example.
34. Build a Subscriptions/ pay per view website: Where premium content is only accessible by members. This does require that you have initial free content to draw potential subscribers, and for you to build your authority online, in your niche. If you’re successful, the numbers are worthwhile. This mostly works in Monetizable (i.e. where user hopes to make instant money/improvements from the advice) and Business-to-Business markets eg. Marketing Insights, Stock Market Analysis
35. Add a 'Pay whatever you like' button: Freedom to pay. This is what Radiohead did: Some think it is smarter than simply askng for donations.
36. Sell your site/blog: If you have enough capital to build your brand/ presence online, and gain substantial eyeballs in the form of free content subscribers, selling to the highest bidder is a great option.
37. Get paid for writing for other sites: http://www.about.com About.com http://demandmedia.com Demandmedia (owner of ehow.com) http://greenhouse.mahalo.com/ Mahalo Greenhouse http://hubpages.com/ Hubpages http://www.squidoo.com/ Squidoo http://creative-weblogging.com/ Creative Web-logging http://www.suite101.com/freelance_writers/ Suite 101 http://daytipper.com/ Daytipper http://helium.com Helium http://isisby.us/ Thisisby.us
38. Write paid product reviews http://www.reviewstream.com ReviewStream http://www.payperpost.com PayPerPost http://www.smorty.com Smorty http://www.blogsvertise.com/ Blogsvertise http://www.reviewme.com/ Review Me http://www.expotv.com ExpoTv (Product Reviews via Video)
39. Promote your design firm and win contracts: http://www.designfirms.org/ DesignFirms http://www.zooppa.com/ Zooppa http://www.minted.com/contest Minted http://www.project4hire.com/ Project4Hire.com http://www.crowdspring.com/ crowdSPRING http://99designs.com/ 99 designs
40. Make money by doing odd online jobs for others: https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome Amazon Mechanical Turk http://www.virtualvocations.com/ Virtual Vocations
41. Get paid for using search engines: http://www.slashmysearch.com/ SlashMySearch http://www.agloco.com/ Agloco
42. Get paid for doing surveys: http://www.yellowsurveys.com/ YellowSurveys.com http://www.awsurveys.com Awsurveys http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/marketing_research/ Microsoft Marketing Research http://www.focuspointeglobal.com/ Focus Pointe Global https://survey.googleratings.com/wix/p0822776.aspx Google User Research Microsoft Research Panel http://www.surveyclub.com Surveyclub http://www.surveyscout.com/main/ Surveyscout https://www.opinionsquare.com/PrivMem.aspx Opinionsquare
43. Get paid for reading emails: http://hit4pay.com Hit4pay http://donkeymails.com Donkeymails
44. Get paid for answering users' search queries: http://www.chacha.com/ ChaCha http://ether.com Ether http://www.justanswer.com Justanswer
45. Get paid for being a mock juror: http://www.ejury.com eJury
46. Get paid for handling technical support for large companies: http://arise.com Arise http://workingsol.com/ WorkingSOL
47. Make Money from Online Investing: https://us.etrade.com/e/t/home E*Trade Financial http://www.tdameritrade.com/welcome1.html TD Ameritrade
48. Make Money by working as a Virtual Assistant: http://www.va4u.com/assistant/ Virtual Assistant For You
49. Make money by creating shopping lists [based on clicks made on your choices]: http://www.favoritethingz.com FavoriteThingz http://www.mypicklist.com MyPickList
50. Save money by using free online services: The internet is a treasure trove for free tools and quality advice on all aspects of your life and work. Start by using free online alternative for all your business software needs. For example, instead of paying for Microsoft products, use free online tools such as Google Docs http://docs.google.com.
Related Guides on Bighow
A simple guide to promoting your freelance business: The 300 words version
The Self Employment Bible: How to successfully work for yourself
A simpleguide to making money blogging
Where to look for writing and reporting jobs
Online Journalism Handbook - 200 + tips and tools and counting
Professional Blogging Handbook - 250 + resources
The Ultimate list of free tools and resources for journalists and bloggers
How to Become Rich Part3: The Power of Compounding
If you liked this article, please bookmark it on Delicious or share on Twitter. Thanks, friends. Follow us on Twitter. | Get Updates To This Blog Via RSS
We don't recommend any other guide than our very own The Success Manual - Encyclopedia of advice to 130 most important skills.