|Things we believe in
These are brave new times for news and
Professional Reporters are learning to adapt
and work in harmony with citizen reporters.
Today, everyone is a reporter.
The everyman reporter tells his
stories to the whole wide world, explaining them in a simple, direct
language. By doing this, he becomes a part of a better world.
1. Our crime is that of curiosity. [thanks, 'The hacker's manifesto']
2. Share good stuff.
3. Stop over-sharing. Don't be a narcissist.
4. Listen to understand.
5. Keep it real.
6 Speak like a human. Ditch the suit-speak.
7. More signal, less noise. [Thanks, 37 signals]
8. Simplify, simplify.
9. Markets are conversations. Markets consist of human beings, not
demographic sectors. Hyperlinks subvert hierarchy. Public Relations does
not relate to the public. Companies are deeply afraid of their markets. By
speaking in language that is distant, uninviting, arrogant, they build
walls to keep markets at bay. [Thanks, 'The Cluetrain Manifesto']
10. Work Together, work alone - do some public good
11. (Value) People who cement cracks over people who create cracks. [Thanks,
12. To be interesting, be interested.
13. Schools don't have a monopoly over knowledge.
14. Demo or Die [Thanks, MIT]
15. Let's build things that are useful and delightful. [Thanks, IDEO]
16. Hippocratic Before Socratic. [heal first] Thanks Allan Chochinov
17. Don't do everything and be everything -- to everyone. - Brad
18. Do no evil. - Google
19. Make a dent in the Universe. Change the way people think. Think
20. Be the same person online.
21. Work on something that matters to you more than money. [Thanks,
22. Connect people and ideas - build tribes. [Thanks, Seth Godin]
23. The Always On Generation is different. That is the way with
Reporters of this world! these are things we
24.. In future there will be more reporters. ( [Thanks, Jeff Jarvis]
25. In future, there will be more journalism, more curators and more
26. Don't be self-important.
27. Read More, Write less.
28. Question everything, Assume nothing.
29. Everything is propaganda - let's start from here.
30. Point to what's next. Be the explainer-in-chief.
31. Point to the best sources.
32. Make something useful, help people use it and then get out of the way.
- Craig Newmark
33. Do you use your power for good...or, for awesome?
34. Journalists are not experts.
35. Death to all clichés.
36. Fight against the celebrity-media-industrial complex.
37. Find the genuine heroes.
38. If you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. (aka 'come to the point ASAP')
39. "What do you demand in a website?" "I demand that it be demanding, dammit!" - Jay Rosen