These are the things they won't normally tell you , but are nevertheless true and important for you to take heed. The ones in bold are my favorites (note: I curated this list from a Quora conversation):
1. Marry your best friend (the person you are most comfortabke with)
2. Don't try to be a "grown up" (which means the end of fun)
3. Don't stop learning: If you start coasting through life, you're gonna lose. Always stretch your intellect.
4. Don't always try to be original: Just tell the story or paint the canvas or whatever.
5. Focusing on "fairness" will lead to stagnation.
6. If you're not failing, you're doing it wrong. (It's OK to make mistakes.)
7. Don't try to reason with mindless, irrational people. (thus the adage: if you wrestle with a pig, you will get mud on your clothes)
8. Don't stress yourself out with news and "staying informed" too much. (avoid news tv as much as possible)
9. Do something that's not for money.
10. The key to happiness is BUILDING stuff, not GETTING stuff.
11. True love and a good marriage involve a lot of fighting, not serenity.
12. Time passes by a lot faster than you'd think. This effect accelerates with age.
13. Wealth is relatively unimportant.
14. Some things can't be learned; they can only be experienced.
15. Figure out who you are, then ACCEPT that person, and then BE that person.
16. Don't wait for permission. Give yourself the okay.
17. Don't lie to yourself.
18. Forgive as much as possible. Grudges achieve little.
19. Be humble (especially to the "little" people).
20. You and you alone control how happy you allow yourself to be.
21. Find a mentor and BE a mentor.
22. Find what you like and let it kill you.
23. If you have to go to the bathroom, stop what you are doing and go. Don't try to "hold it."
24. You don't have to eat everything that's on your plate.
25. You don't have to pick up a phone that's ringing. (my favorite)
26. Flossing teeth is very important.
27. Always take action on things. People regret inaction more than action.
28. There is no such thing as highbrow and lowbrow. (people like what they like - there is no class system in art and culture)
29. Do one thing at a time. All that noise about multi-tasking? BS.
30. Don’t compare yourself with others. It’s an inaccurate measuring stick. It is more accurate to compare from within.
31. Don't take criticism personally.
32. People's opinions’ are a reflection of their own world and a product of their own reality. It has nothing to do with you.
33. Don’t try to impress people. It devalues you.
34. Value the people in your life.
35. You never have anything to lose. You could lose all your money, and become homeless for a while, but you can’t lose who you are, your essence.
36. "Yes" is a great answer, "No" is also a great answer. Not getting an answer because you didn't do something is the worst result ever.
37. Working hard is as important as being smart.
38. Drinking buddies aren't your friends. Try hanging out with them sober and see how well you get along.
39. Bad things happen to good people, and good things happen to bad people. Get used to it.
40. Nobody can fix you. You have to fix your own problems or adapt to them. Other people can be helpful, but only so much.
41. The world could end, as far as you're concerned, and things will continue as if nothing happened. Life doesn't take a break, nor does it care. It's not life's fault; things need to be that way.
42. Being a "genius," in IQ terms, means nothing if you don't contribute anything important to society.
43. The Platinum Rule: "Treat others the way they want to be treated." (Dr. Tony Alessandra)
44. Everything is better when you’re having fun doing it.
45. Worship your intellect, being seen as smart, you will end up feeling stupid, a fraud, always on the verge of being found out. (David Foster Wallace)
46. You become what you think about.
47. Determination and motivation trump all else.
48. Many times it is better to quit. Life is too short to try winning every possible battle.
49. Choose a few things to fail or succeed on.
50. "We human have two ears and one mouth, use proportionally."
If you liked this, please check out The Success Manual - 200+ top things we all should know to succeed faster in any career.