Camus said that the only option in this pointless life is to try and try again. That's all a man can do. That and have a cheerful heart no matter how things are. It has been said that in modern times, people have an equal chance of misery and an equal chance of happiness. With that in mind, I give you 45 great quotes culled from the internet, which will help you when times are not good, and which help you build a mindset that keeps you comfortable during the hard times. they also say that 'Change your mindset.... situation will automatically change': (note: the words in bold are my favorite)
1. "Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come.You wait and watch and work: you don't give up."
- Anne Lamott
2. “To burn always with a hard, gemlike flame, that’s success in life.”
- Robert W. Marks
3. "To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven; the same key opens the gates of hell."
The key itself is unimportant. The lock you turn it in is what matters.
- Buddhist saying
4. “Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart.”
5. “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when adults are afraid of the light.”
6. "Say yes when nobody asked. "
- Lao proverb
7. “The main thing is that you hear life’s music everywhere. Most people hear only its dissonances.”
- Theodor Fontane
8. “He who laughs – lasts.”
- Wilfrid Peterson
9. “Good humor is the best article of dress one can wear in society.”
- William Makepeace Thackeray
10. “It doesn’t hurt to be optimistic. You can always cry later.”
- Lucimar Santos de Lima
11.“You’re never fully dressed until you wear a smile.”
- Charley Willey
12.“The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make of it.”
- Marcus Aurelius
13. “The clearest sign of wisdom is continued cheerfulness.”
- Michel Eyquem de Montaigne
14. “We are all happy if we only knew it.”
- Feodor Dostoevsky
15. “To completely trust in God is to be like a child who knows deeply that even if he does not call for the mother, the mother is totally aware of his condition and is looking after him.”
16. “The greatest treasure next to God is a good will in this world: Even if all has been lost, by it all can be regained.”
- Angelus Silesius
17. "For all your ills I give you laughter."
18. “Laugh. Laughter is immeasurable.
Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.”
- Wendell Berry
19. "There it is. I don’t believe in anything, but I’m always glad to wake up in the morning. It doesn’t depress me. I’m never depressed. My basic nervous system is filled with this optimism. It’s mad, I know, because it’s optimism about nothing. I think of life as meaningless and yet it excites me. I always think something marvelous is about to happen."
- Francis Bacon
20. "The last of the human freedoms is to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances; to choose one's own way."
- Viktor Frankl
21. “It takes a joyful sound to make the world go ‘round.”
- Bob Marley
22. "Your grief lasted so long.
Look! Healing is here.
Your door was locked.
Look! Here is the key!"
23. "The point in life is to know
what’s enough –
why envy those
With the happiness held
in one inch-square heart
you can fill the whole space
between heaven and earth."
24. “The real voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”
- Marcel Proust
25. "We must become alone, so utterly alone, that we withdraw into our innermost self. It is a way of bitter suffering. But then our solitude is overcome and we are no longer alone, for we find that our innermost self is the spirit, that it is God, the indivisible. And suddenly we find ourselves in the midst of the world, yet undisturbed by its multiplicity, for in our innermost soul we know ourselves to be one with all being."
- Hermann Hesse
26. “A person has two legs and one sense of humor, and if you’re faced with the choice, it’s better to lose a leg.”
- Charles Lindner
27. “Live as you will wish to have lived when you are dying.”
- Christian Furchtegott Gellert
28. “A good conscience is a continual feast.”
- Robert Burton
29. “Facing it – always facing it! – that’s the way to get through. Face it!”
- Joseph Conrad
30. “Don’t compromise yourself. You’re all you’ve got.”
- Janis Joplin
31. "Don't mourn, organize."
- Joe Hill
32. “Luck affects everything; let your hook always be cast. In the stream where you least expect it, there will be fish.”
33. “Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest.”
- Mark Twain
34. "When the mind is at peace,
the world too is at peace.
Nothing real, nothing absent.
Not holding on to reality,
not getting stuck in the void,
You are neither holy nor wise, just
an ordinary fellow who has completed his work."
- Layman P’ang
35. "I have lived on the lip
of insanity, wanting to know reasons,
knocking on a door. It opens.
I’ve been knocking from the inside!"
36. Happiness is not getting what you want, it's wanting what you get.
37. You are not the center of world. No one is.
38. "This too will end."
39. "When you're going through hell, keep going."
- Winston Churchill
40. Don't internalize the problem - i.e. don't feel sorry for yourself - focus on dealing with the situation. Find the humor in every situation - internalize that.
- Military training instruction
41. Think: "What is the one thing I can do right now that will improve my life the most."
42. Others have gonbe through worse things - holocaust, genocide, massacres, accidents...
43. Don't worry about things you have no control over.
44. “If there is meaning in life at all, then there must be meaning in suffering.”
- Viktor E. Frankl
45. If you fel miserable because you have to live up with the consequences of your actions, suck it up! Do it better next time.
If you feel miserable because something unplanned happened to you suddenly, just go with your life. Keep up the routine of life and time will perhaps heal things.
If you feel miserable because of what others are going through (good/bad), do your best to make things better and remember you can't have control over all things in life.
In miseries of all other kind, just try to go with it. Take the punches. Shit happens.
Now I roll with the punches . I do the best I can and in my everyday life, I try to make people smile when they are near me and hope to bring some kind of ray of sunshine in their day. Mind you, some days, I do not succeed.
Related: Five things you should do when no one believes in you
If you liked this, please check out The Success Manual - 200+ top things we all should know to succeed faster in any career.